Protecting your family from deadly amoeba

Print
Email
|

by GARY REAVES

WFAA

Posted on September 1, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Funeral services were held Wednesday for seven-year-old Kyle Lewis of Arlington, who died of a rare illness over the weekend after swimming in the Paluxy River.

Doctors said Kyle ingested an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri which quickly destroys brain tissue.

Kyle's death from this amoeba is the 10th in North Texas since 2000. The cases are widely scattered, and include two people who lived in Dallas County and one in Tarrant County.

So what is this tiny killer, and how can you protect your family? Channel 8's Gary Reaves talked to health experts to get the facts.

E-mail greaves@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|