Erykah Badu will fight disorderly conduct charge

Print
Email
|

by REBECCA LOPEZ

Bio | Email | Follow: @rlopezwfaa

WFAA

Posted on April 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM

DALLAS — You have seen the video and heard about the controversy.

Now singer Eryka Badu is fighting back. She maintains she is not guilty of disorderly conduct for stripping down in Dealey Plaza.

It happened last month during a shoot for a new music video while people watched. The first week of album sales raked in about $1.5 million, but Badu is refusing to pay a $500 disorderly conduct fee.

She is seeking a trial.

Eryka Badu's people haven't returned calls from News 8, so it's unclear if the artist believes what she did is not a crime, or if she is seeking more publicity by deciding to fight this charge.

Dallas police say Badu broke the law when she stripped naked near the spot where John F. Kennedy was assassinated. They say disorderly conduct is the proper charge.

"It is a violation, and that's why we felt strongly about filing this charge," said Dallas police spokesman Lt. Andrew Harvey.

But News 8 first learned the singer has decided to fight that charge and plead not guilty.

"We fully expect people to exercise their right to have their day in court, so no surprise that any individual will actually take their fight to court," Harvey said.

Dallas City Council member Dwaine Caraway has been outspoken about this issue, and says he is disappointed that Badu has decided to take the issue to yet another level.

"I would hope, and was in hope, that this was something that could be put behind us," Caraway said. "Her choice to continue is not in the direction that I thought it would go, and it's unfortunate."

Badu has made no apologies for her actions, and she isn't starting now.

There has been a lot of speculation this was a publicity stunt. Even with the hype, however, Billboard said Badu still sold 14,000 fewer copies the week her new album debuted, compared to her previous release in 2008.

E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|