DALLAS - A man was treated for burns after after he became disoriented and ran through a fire at a house early Tuesday morning in the 900 block of Chevez Drive in Dallas.
Dallas Fire-Rescue was called to the scene at about 3:09 a.m. According to the incident report, firefighters arrived to the scene to find flames shooting out from a one-story wood shed in the rear of the home. The firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it fully engulfed the house, which was partially attached to the shed by a roof extension.
Avalon Arreazola was sleeping when he was wakened by the fire and jumped out a window to escape. He then ran to the outside of his father's room and began banging on the window in an attempt to wake him.
"So, maybe he didn't see the fire, so he went through the kitchen," Arreazola said. "He opened the door and I'm guessing the flames met him as soon as he opened that door."
Despite his burns, Ricardo Arreazola then pulled out a garden hose and attempted to put out the fire. He was taken to Parkland Hospital where he was treated in their burn unit for non-life-threatening injuries.
The rear of the house was heavily damaged in the fire.
WFAA.com's Marjorie Owens contributed to this report