Larry Joe Taylor prepared his chili recipe with Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, April 14.
Larry Joe Taylor’s Chili
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 7 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika, (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce, (or to taste)
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 28 oz. canned tomatoes, pureed
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 4 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
- Brown beef by searing in a skillet or Dutch oven. Drain well.
- Turn flame or burner to medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper and jalapenos stirring as you stir.
- Continue to cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Mix chili powder, salt and paprika together and stir into pan.
- Add Tabasco sauce, tomato sauce, pureed tomatoes and beef broth or water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer, covered for about 15 minutes stirring and adding water as needed.
- Add sugar and cilantro: cook 15 minutes.
- For spicier chili, cook an additional 15 minutes.