Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Get Well Chicken Soup on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, January 5.
- 3 chicken breasts, on the bone
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 leeks, sliced (whites only)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken broth (any brand)
- 1 - 2 Tbs. fresh dill, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- sea salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Wash chicken and remove skin.
- Chop all vegetables and herbs.
- Place chicken and veggies in a deep pot with bay leaves and garlic.
- Fill with water enough to cover chicken and veggies (some veggies my float to top).
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and partially cover with lid.
- Let simmer on medium-low heat for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove all frothy foam from top of water with a spoon.
- Lift chicken breast from the soup and place on a cutting board.
- Shred chicken off the bone and return (meat only) back to the pot.
- Add 3 cups of broth, dill, parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, then serve hot.