Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today demonstrated how to make Savory Turkey Salad on News 8 Dabyreak Saturday, February 16.
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb. half turkey breast, skinless (bone-in)
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh, orange juice (about 3 - 4 oranges squeezed)
- 4 cloves garlic (cut in half)
- 1/2 sweet onion (cut into big chunks)
- 1 head red leaf lettuce (chopped)
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage (chopped)
- 1 large handful red cabbage (chopped)
- 3 - 4 green onions (chopped to green part)
- 5 - 6 radish (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup dried apricots (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup roasted whole almonds (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup Cabot sharp light Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2/3 cup salad vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place turkey (breast side down) in a large baking dish or Dutch oven.
- Pour chicken broth and orange juice over turkey.
- Add garlic, onion and salt/pepper.
- Cover and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- While turkey is cooking, chop all ingredients for salad.
- For dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together grapeseed oil, salad vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Once turkey is done, shred all meat with a fork; leave liquid, onions & garlic aside.
- In a large bowl, layer chopped lettuce, cabbage, radish, green onions, apricots, almonds, cheese and about 1/2 of shredded turkey.
- Drizzle dressing (sparingly) over top and give a gentle toss.
- Serve immediately.