Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared this Reuben Sandwich recipe on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, March 16.
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 - 3 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbs. Thousand Island dressing, or Russian dressing
- 4 - 5 thin slices corned beef (from the deli)
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut, thoroughly drained
- 4 Tbs. butter
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter over a griddle or skillet on med - high heat.
- Spread small amount of dressing over one slice of rye bread and lay dry side on top of melted butter. Turn heat down to med - low.
- Stack 1 slice of cheese, all sauerkraut, 1 Tbs. dressing (spread evenly), corned beef and 1 more slice of cheese on top of open bread.
- Top the layers with second piece of rye bread that also has dressing spread over one side and generously buttered on the other. (leave the buttered side up)
- Press down with spatula on sandwich.
- Once cheese starts to melt (about 6 min.), gently flip the sandwich over for an additional 6 min. to melt cheese and heat through. When sandwich is golden brown and crispy pull off griddle.
- Cut in half and enjoy!