Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Pizza on the Grill on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, August 31.
For pizza dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for later
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast (or 2¼ tsp.)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt
For ‘meat lovers’ toppings:
- 1 15 oz. can/jar pizza sauce
- 2 cups cubed mozzerella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (browned)
- 1/2 lb. ground Italian sausage (browned)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 handful chopped basil
For pizza dough:
- In a small bowl, mix water, oil and sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and let it sit until foamy. (about 5 min.)
- In a medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Slowly add water mixture to the flour mixture mixing in ½ cup at a time.
- With a large spoon (or your hands) mix until the dough feels soft and slightly sticky. (If too stiff, add a Tbs. or more of water. If too sticky add a Tbs. or more of flour)
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and knead with your hands (about 1 minute; don’t overwork). Add extra flour if it sticks to the surface.
- Form dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Drizzle more oil on top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place bowl in a warm area (I put mine near a sunny spot in the house). Let it rise for an hour.
- Punch the dough down with your fist and lightly knead on a floured surface for a minute or until smooth.
- Cut dough into two equal balls with a sharp knife. Reserve one in a large plastic bag and refrigerate if you’re not making both right away.
- Preheat the entire grill on high with the lid down for 10 minutes.
- Next, reduce the heat of all burners to medium.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll dough out either with a rolling pin or your hands. You want it to be approximately 12 inches wide and 1/8” to 1/4” thick. The dough should not be perfectly round.
- Lightly dust both sides of dough with flour, then lightly drizzle olive oil on both sides.
- Fold the dough in half and then half again to transfer from counter to grill. Gently unfold the dough and lay directly on the grill.
- Spoon pizza sauce (about 1/2 of the can) on to crust starting at the center and working it to the edges spreading evenly. Add cubed cheese, cooked sausage, beef and sliced tomatoes all over.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese and close the lid. Allow cheeses to melt for 7 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from the grill with a large spatula and top with fresh basil and shaved Parmesan cheese.
- Lightly drizzle extra olive oil on top and cut into slices or squares. Serve immediately.