Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared LJT's Cornbread Casserole on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, April 13.
- 1 -1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced (for more "heat," use more jalepenos)
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned
- 2 eggs, whisked together
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 Tbs. salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can cream style corn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix whisked eggs, corn meal, milk, baking soda, salt, olive oil and canned corn in a bowl and set aside.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a Dutch oven (can also use a cast iron skillet or 9 x 13 baking dish) and place in the oven for 10 - 15 min.
- Pour half of cornbread mixture into the bottom of the Dutch oven. Layer first the cheese, then the onion, jalapeno and lastly the browned ground beef.
- Top layers with the remaining half of cornbread mixture.
- Return to the oven and bake for 45 - 50 min. until edges are slightly brown and crusty.