Healthy food can still be delicious, as Stacy Fawcett shows us in this recipe for Healthy Spaghetti Squash with Sausage and Kale that she prepared on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, January 11.
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- One 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 3/4 pound turkey sausage (or any favorite sausage)
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 cups thinly sliced kale
- 1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F Oil a sheet pan with one tablespoon of the oil, or line the sheet pan with foil.
- Slice off 1/2-inch from the ends of the spaghetti squash. Scoop out any seeds and stringy bits inside, and place the squash halves cut-side down on the oiled or lined sheet pan. Poke the tops of the halves with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until you can easily poke the sides of the squash with a fork. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Then using the tines of a fork, scrape out the "spaghetti"-like strands of the squash to a bowl.
- Pinch sausage into small chunks
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Then add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the sliced kale and cook until tender.
- Add the sausage and cook without stirring until the sausage starts to brown, then stir and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage bits are cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spaghetti squash strands to the sausage mixture and stir to combine, cook until the squash is heated through, about a minute.
- Remove from heat and add the grated Parmesan cheese and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.