Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Corn Chowder on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, April 6.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tbs. onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (with or without seeds)
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt/pepper to taste
- optional - shredded cheddar cheese & extra bacon for toppings
- In a large pot, fry bacon pieces until crisp.
- Add onion and saute until soft.
- Add corn, potatoes, jalapeno and carrots to saute.
- Add butter and all-purpose flour.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a slow boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat down to medium-low and let cook for about
- 15 min. or until potatoes are just tender.
- Slowly stir in milk and cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a slow boil.
- Quickly turn heat to low and allow to thicken for another 10 min. or more stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
- Top each serving with shredded cheddar cheese and more crispy bacon pieces, if desired.