January is National Soup Month. Here's a recipe that is healthy, full of flavor, and will leave you feeling satisfied.
- 3 tablespoons of oil of your choice, divided (I used olive oil)
- 1 packet of fajita or taco seasoning (if you have these spices on hand, use a mix of ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne)
- 1 large onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1-2 Poblano peppers, diced
- 2 quarts (8 cups) chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes (if you can’t find fire-roasted, just use regular canned tomoatoes)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- avocado and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place small amount of chicken stock in bottom of large baking pan. Place chicken breasts over chicken stock and pour one tablespoon of oil over all, coating well.
- Sprinkle fajita seasoning or taco seasoning.
- Cover with foil and bake until tender to be able to "shred" chicken with a fork, probably about 2 or 2-1/2 hours. Check on it to make sure you don't dry it out.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, heat, then add in the onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and peppers and sauté until fragrant.
- Pour in chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes and bring to a medium boil.
- Add the chicken, cilantro and lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro and diced avocado If you are not on the paleo diet, you can add tortilla strips or chips.