We have all been watching the weather reports this week anticipating the chilly weather, so what better time to share my favorite hot chocolate recipe! You will feel like a kid again when you curl up next to the fire and drink this. You can add marshmallows, peppermint sticks, or try chocolate shavings over the cup to finish it off perfectly. Then try our bonus recipe for delicious chocolate chip cookies.
HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- a dash of salt to your taste
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of half & half
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water and combine until you bring cocoa to a slow boil; then simmer while stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Making sure the ingredients don't burn on the bottom of the saucepan, slowly stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot... but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool.
BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITH SEA SALT
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the butter in pieces and place in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently let the butter brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In your mixer, combine sugars and brown butter. Blend until smooth.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, and yogurt.
- Next, mix in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until incorporated.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- On a non-stick baking sheet or a sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop the dough out by tablespoons about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.