Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Mini Key Lime Pies on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, March 9.
- 1 pkg. of 6 mini Graham cracker pie crusts (I used Keebler brand) *
- 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice (usually found on the juice aisle) **
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- *more zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, condensed milk, Key lime juice and lime zest until well blended.
- Pour into mini pie crusts, filling to top.
- Place all 6 on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (2-4 hours are even better).
- Just before serving, beat cold whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla on high with a mixer until thick and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Top mini pies with whipped cream and more lime zest for garnish.
* can substitute mini pie crusts with one regular-size (10 oz.) Graham cracker pie crust
** can substitute bottled Key lime juice with fresh lime juice