Manziel can't see ex for 2 years; DPD reopens investigation

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel's off-field issues stayed firmly in the headlines Friday as the fallout from allegations of an assault of his ex-girlfriend last month continued.

Friday evening, Dallas police announced they have reopened a criminal investigation into Manziel's most recent off-the-field incident after receiving a formal complaint of domestic violence assault from Manziel's ex-girlfriend, Colleen Crowley.

Crowley issued a statement Friday night through a spokesperson.

“On Feb. 5, I met with domestic violence specialists at the Dallas Police Department. I provided them with a complete description of the events on the night of January 29th and answered their questions," Crowley said in the statement. "I don’t know what will happen next with this case – that’ll be up to the Dallas Police Department. I am hopeful that everyone will understandably respect my wish for privacy at this time.”

Dallas police said from there, "Detectives will thoroughly investigate the case to determine what criminal charges, if any, will be filed and victim services will be offered."

"As there are many emotional factors involved, it is not uncommon for a victim of domestic violence to question or delay reporting an assault," Dallas police said in a news release.

The release said the department would provide updates into the investigation as they become available.

It was also revealed Friday that a protective order was signed this week that prevents Johnny Manziel from seeing his ex-girlfriend for two years.

The court documents obtained by News 8 state that the embattled quarterback must stay at least 500 feet from his ex-girlfriend’s home and place of work. He also owes $12,000 in legal fees.

News 8 broke the news of an alleged domestic violence incident involving Manziel in Dallas on Jan. 29. Crowley told police Manziel hit her and threatened to kill her.

Crowley describes the night of Jan. 29 in an affidavit, stating she was “fearful for her life.”

In her application for a protective order filed on Feb. 3, Crowley stated that Manziel was “likely to commit family violence against me if a protective order is not granted.”

A Tarrant County judge signed the protective order the day it was filed.

The order also prohibits Manziel from engaging in any more family violence and bars him from having a firearm or ammunition in his possession. Federal charges could be levied upon Manziel if he is found to be in possession of a firearm, the document states.

The order is effective until Feb. 3, 2018. If Manziel violates the terms, he could face up to one year in jail and fines up to $4,000.

On top of the quarterback's legal trouble, Manziel's agent publicly cut ties with the former Texas A&M star Friday morning and his father told the Dallas Morning News he believes his son will not live to see his next birthday if he does not get professional help. Paul Manziel added that his family has tried to get Johnny into local rehabilitation facilities twice in the last month.

Johnny Manziel is expected to be released by the Cleveland Browns in early March after a litany of off-the-field issues.

Rumors have swirled that the former Heisman winner could be a Dallas Cowboy next season, but a high-ranking Cowboys official told WFAA Sports that the team will not pursue Manziel.

Copyright 2016 WFAA


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment