Richardson woman describes fight for life in violent break in



Bio | Email | Follow: @rlopezwfaa


Posted on September 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Updated Friday, Sep 14 at 6:36 PM

RICHARDSON - Lindy Freeze was watching TV around 8 p.m. Wednesday when she heard a knock on her door. She said she made the mistake of opening it.

"He kicked the door open, and he had a gun," she said.

The man forced his way in.

"He pushed me in, and slammed the door," Freeze said. "He pushed me up against the wall and kept trying to point the gun at me. I kept pushing it, as hard as I could, away."

In Spanish, he told her to go into the bedroom.

"He said, 'go, go,' and I said, 'no no,'" Freeze recalled.

Instead, she decided to fight.

"He got his hand from mine, and hit me with the butt of the gun," Freeze said. "We fell into the table. We struggled."

She said the whole time, she kept staring at the suspect's eyes.

"When we fell into the TV, I thought to myself, 'This can't be happening. I can't fight anymore, I'm getting to weak,'" Freeze said. "I thought I was going to die."

But she kept on fighting.

"All of a sudden, I got this burst of energy and pushed, and I didn't even look. I just ran for the door," she said.

She managed to get the door open, and ran out.

"I ran out screaming, 'Help me! Somebody help me!," Freeze said.

She said she fought because she watches a lot of crime shows, and thought it was the right thing to do.

"I thought, 'If I'm going to die, I'm going to go down fighting,'" Freeze said.

Richardson police arrested the man who was allegedly trying to force his way into Freeze’s apartment later that night.

The suspect was arrested on multiple charges, and may be wanted for more crimes, including a rape last Friday in the M Streets area of Dallas. Sources said he fit the description given by the victim.

Authorities said after the suspect left Freeze's apartment Wednesday, he attempted a carjacking at a nearby parking lot in which he once again became involved in a struggle and fled the scene, unsuccessful. He then attempted to hide in a garage of a residence, but was apprehended after running from the home on foot after he was spotted, police reported.