TV crew scrambles after murder suspect confesses to string of Texas killings

TV crew scrambles after murder suspect confesses to string of Texas killings

TV crew scrambles after murder suspect confesses to string of Texas killings

Print
Email
|

by MARVIN HURST

KENS 5 San Antonio

Posted on May 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Updated Wednesday, May 28 at 3:14 PM

 SAN ANTONIO – San Antonio police say Charles Hall confessed to a string of murders and shootings that started Monday night in the Alamo City.

At last check, the 28-year-old has only been charged for one killing, but the carnage and chaos, apparently, doesn’t stop there.

Investigators said the suspect started confessing to several crimes. The murder of Rogelio Ramos in northeast San Antonio was one of them.

Police said Ramos drove to a Valero Corner Store in the 1500 block of Austin Highway to try and get away from a dark-colored minivan after someone inside the vehicle opened fire.

According to officer reports, Ramos was shot multiple times and died at the scene.

The next day, Hall killed Lawrence Carroll in his apartment doorway after knocking on his door, according to the San Antonio Police Department.

Police believe Hall met up with a friend after the shooting and turned on him, shooting him as well. Hall’s friend survived the attack, but was later captured by authorities.

Several hours later, police were back at the crime scene for another shooting.

A Telemundo crew who normally reports the news became the news Tuesday.

While interviewing Hall, the shooter allegedly confessed to being the trigger-man. Things quickly became intense for the news crew. In fact, Telemundo 60 KVDA reporter Mayde Gomez  jumped the fence to escape Hall’s gunfire.

Telemundo Reporter Jorge Enrique DeSantiago was also at the scene and credits a security guard for protecting them. 

"To be honest this is my worst dream come true," DeSantiago said.  "I've never ever wanted to be on this side being the one who interviews I'm usually the one on the other side of the camera asking those questions and now to be here and having the questions being asked to me it's something I would have never imagined was going to happen."

A security guard on the grounds was not so lucky. He was shot several times.

“He’s not doing well,” an officer at the scene said.

The 33-year-old victim was transported to San Antonio Military Medical Center.

Police set up a perimeter around the area and Hall was eventually caught and identified by several witnesses as the shooter.

Hall was booked on two charges; murder and aggravated assault of a security guard. His bond was set at $400,000.

Hall has previously served time in prison for credit card abuse and was released in January.

Print
Email
|