Police issue warrant for DISD sex abuse suspect

Print
Email
|

by BYRON HARRIS

Bio | Email

WFAA

Posted on July 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jul 10 at 9:48 PM

DALLAS - Dallas police have issued a warrant for a suspect in the sexual abuse of a DISD special needs student.

There are two parts to this story: what DISD didn't do in communicating with the child's parents, and what the school district is still doing to punish them.

Ronya and Kenneth Martinez are the parents of an adolescent special needs child.

In March, they reported to DISD that their daughter had been sexually abused when left alone with a DISD employee in the copy room of Thomas Edison Middle School. The girl told her parents and police the suspect, 28-year-old Rondle Ray Sams, Jr., placed his hand inside her pants.

Sams was placed on administrative leave on March 5. He is not a teacher, and worked in the copy room. His mother denied the charges on Tuesday, and Sams' attorney said his client is planning to turn himself in.

Mr. and Mrs. Martinez have not been contacted by DISD since it was first reported. Last Friday, Mrs. Martinez was contacted by a Dallas police detective, who told her a warrant had been issued for Sams.

Meanwhile, the district is continuing to prosecute Kenneth Martinez for pulling his daughter out of school after the incident. Martinez is charged with contributing to the truancy of a child.

The Martinez' attorney is Jim Skinner.

"It's hard to fathom that the father of a child who was sexually assaulted at school is now charged with truancy," Skinner said to News 8.

Kenneth Martinez' criminal truancy case was scheduled for jury selection Monday. The district's case against him is being handled by the Dallas County District Attorney's office, which has asked for a one-month extension to prepare for trial.

E-mail bharris@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|