Plano bombing suspect pleads not guilty

Print
Email
|

by STEVE STOLER

WFAA

Posted on July 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Updated Wednesday, Jul 25 at 5:22 PM

PLANO — Anso Chi, the Plano man accused of trying to blow up a gas pipeline last month, says he's not guilty.

The 33-year-old suspect appeared in Federal court in Sherman Wednesday for his arraignment.

Chi, clad in shackles and still wearing bandages on his arms, answered a series of questions from a federal judge.

The judge asked Chi if he understood the charge against him for possessing an unregistered destructive explosive device, and whether he was taking any drugs. Chi said he was taking medication for his injured eye.

The last question the judge asked: "How do you plead?"

Chi's response: "Not guilty."

Chi's parents were in the courtroom during the five-minute arraignment, but they declined to talk with us when they left.

The anti-tax activist is accused of trying to set off a bomb last month at a gas regulator station on West Parker Road in Plano. The device exploded in Chi's arms, leaving him seriously injured.

Plano police officers and FBI agents who searched his home found a makeshift bomb lab inside his bedroom.

Chi's next court appearance will be in September, at the federal courthouse in Plano.

E-mail sstoler@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|