Plano bombing suspect out of hospital, in federal prison

Print
Email
|

by STEVE STOLER

WFAA

Posted on June 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jun 26 at 6:25 PM

Story TimelineClick to open timeline

DALLAS — The man accused of trying to blow up a Plano natural gas pipeline was out of the hospital Tuesday night and in federal custody at a prison in Seagoville.

Anson Chi, 33, limped into Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse in Dallas Tuesday afternoon, showing several signs of the traumatic injuries he suffered, allegedly when a homemade explosive device detonated last week.

Chi's lawyer, Doug Morris, said federal agents arrested Chi Monday and took him from a Dallas hospital to prison. On Tuesday, U.S. Marshals led Chi into the courtroom. He was shackled, wearing a bright orange jumpsuit.

He hardly resembled the man in his MySpace photos.

His face had deep cuts. One of his eyes was shut closed. He wore bandages on both arms. His left arm was bandaged from his fingers to shoulder.

As Chi glanced toward his parents and brother, a federal marshal sternly asked them not to communicate with him.

Chi told a U.S. Magistrate he would waive the hearing. Since he was arrested in Dallas, the law required him to appear at the nearest federal court, even though the alleged crime happened in Plano.

Chi will likely be moved to Plano, where he's expected to face charges that he built and detonated an explosive device.

Federal court documents revealed agents found a makeshift bomb in plain view inside his bedroom at his parents' Plano residence, including jars of various acids, fuses, surgical masks and a protective suit.

Chi will spend the night at the federal prison in Seagoville.

He's expected to be moved to Collin County on Wednesday. He will likely appear before a federal judge again next week.

E-mail sstoler@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|