Frustrations grow as probe into Greenville teen's murder continues

Alicia Moore

Credit: Surveillance photo

A surveillance camera captured the last photograph of 16-year-old Alicia Moore as she exited her school bus in Greenville on Friday afternoon.



Bio | Email | Follow: @MarcusMoorewfaa


Posted on November 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Updated Friday, Nov 9 at 2:34 PM

GREENVILLE - The reward for information in the Alicia Moore homicide investigation has reached $15,000.

Greenville police continue to work leads in the case, including talking with people who have ties with the teen.

Police say Moore's mother made allegations her daughter was sexually assaulted earlier this year by Terry Dwayne Ramsire, 49. However, Ramsire was arrested on August 23 and has been in the Hunt County Jail since that time.

Police also arrested a man on an unrelated domestic violence warrant from Hunt County. While he was among several questioned, he was not arrested in connection to the Moore case.

A construction worker found 16-year-old Alicia Moore's body in a trunk by the side of the road Tuesday about four miles north of Wills Point. The teen vanished Friday afternoon after getting of a school bus in her Greenville neighborhood.

Since that time, family members have criticized police for their response to the case.

"[Police] didn't take it seriously," said Jessica Byrd, Moore's niece. "It seems like it took them a little too long to take it seriously when I have been raising my voice since day one."

The family plans to join others in the community on Saturday for a march that will go from a Greenville park to the bus stop where Alicia was last seen. Byrd said the march was set up to make people aware of the case and how it was handled by authorities.

Tensions have been growing in the community over who possibly committed the murder and how police handled the case.

Rev. Philip Williams thinks race and where Moore lived played a role in the slow police response. Police waited three days before alerting the public about her disappearance.

"It doesn't matter what neighborhood you stay in this was a child," he said. "This should have never happened, and they should have done something better. So, therefore, yes, race did play a part."

The family told News 8 Thursday was the first time police went through Moore's room to look for possible clues.

"I'm glad somebody besides me and our family feels my frustration, my pain," said Jessica Byrd, Moore's aunt.

The Greenville Chapter of the NAACP released a statement Thursday saying they received a commitment from Greenville police Chief Daniel Busken that the city and police department will conduct a step-by-step investigation into its response to the disappearance.

A second similar case in Greenville was reported to police in January. In that case, a child said someone attempted to kidnap her near a bus stop. The district put out a media alert, but never issued any alerts in Moore's case until Wednesday.

Greenville ISD Superintendent Donald Jefferies said it was because the family waited a few hours to report the teen missing. The district tried to track down Moore using her school-issued iPad's tracking application Saturday, but it was apparently disabled.

"Urgently, we did respond," Jefferies said. "We had an investigation going Saturday."

Marc Cobb, the owner of a West McKinney Kids "R" Kids, and Eugene Knies, the owner of Greenville Chrysler, have offered a $15,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case.

Additionally, they began a memorial fund for Moore's family. Anyone wishing to contribute to the Alicia Moore Reward Fund or the Alicia Moore Memorial Fund can send checks to 9070 Westridge Blvd., McKinney, TX. 75070, or at any American National Bank.

Greenville police have refused to answer any further questions about Moore's case at this time.

Meanwhile, fears have grown in the Greenville neighborhood where Moore went missing.

"The bad thing about it is nobody can find her murderer," said Candice Hawkins, a parent. "So, where are these people? What's going to happen to the next child that gets off the bus?"

Another parent, Sherill Ellison, said she is worried about his kids playing in the area near the bus stop.

"It's a big concern" she said. "I only live three blocks away. My kids come through here all the time, going to their friends' houses."

The autopsy report is complete and the medical examiner knows the cause of death, but that remains confidential for now as authorities continue to investigate the case.