Former Fort Worth priest accused of sexual abuse

Print
Email
|

by MARCUS MOORE

Bio | Email | Follow: @MarcusMoorewfaa

WFAA

Posted on January 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Updated Tuesday, Jan 31 at 11:16 PM

FORT WORTH — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth is facing another lawsuit over sexual abuse involving a priest.

The priest's accuser was once a student at Nolan Catholic High School.

The Diocese has already settled 22 lawsuits involving five different priests — paying out more than $8.4 million.

The latest case involves Father William Paiz, who had been a teacher at Nolan High in the 1980s.

"It's a betrayal of trust, that's what it is... and that's what happened in this case," said Tahira Merrit, who is representing a Fort Worth man who claims he was sexually abused by Father Paiz between 1982 and 1987.

The man said the alleged abuse took place at the school, the rectories of All Saints Catholic Church, and at St. George Catholic Church.

Merrit says her client reported the abuse to the Diocese of Fort Worth more than a year ago, but they claim nothing was done.

"Some action should have been taken against Father Paiz to make sure he wasn't in ministry and wasn't around children," Merrit said. "Now that may have happened, but they certainly didn't communicate that to my client."

On the Diocese Web site, William Paiz appears on a list of priests with what are termed "credible allegations of sexual abuse" against them. He is one of 15 listed.

According to the Fort Worth Diocese, an investigation was launched into the Paiz allegations and the findings were given to the authorities.

Paiz left Fort Worth in 1987.

E-mail mmoore@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|