FORT WORTH — An attorney for former Fort Worth teacher Jennifer Riojas tells News 8 there is no way that a teenager is the father of her unborn child.
Last week, Tarrant County prosecutors accused Riojas of having sex with a 16-year-old student at least three times. She is facing three counts of sexual assault of a child.
The Fort Worth ISD said Riojas resigned from Carter Riverside High School in October. In her letter of resignation, she told the district she was pregnant and could no longer teach because the distractions and stress of an investigation.
News 8 learned the alleged victim — one of her former students — is worried that he's the father of the child.
An attorney who is representing Riojas says she has had a long relationship with another man, and he is the father.
We put together a timeline based on court records.
- November 2009: Documents say Riojas marries 25-year-old Armando Chavez.
- December 2009: Prosecutors say Riojas has sex with the teenager in a hospital room.
- January 2010: Charging documents say the student and teacher have sex two additional times.
- March 2010: Riojas and Chavez file for divorce.
- May 2010: Riojas is involved with another man named "Paul."
Riojas says she and "Paul" conceived the child, and the baby is due on January 21.
Prosecutors say they are still investigating the case, along with what is alleged to have happened in a hospital room and a series of mid-cities hotels in the last 12 months.
Child Protective Services also confirmed to News 8 that the agency is looking into the relationship, because a public school is involved.
Prosecutors said they will present their case to a grand jury soon, but an indictment could take a while.
The Tarrant County Web site said Riojas is due back in court on December 7.