Dallas police say suspect was Tasered five times before death




Posted on September 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Taser death

View larger map

DALLAS — Dallas police confirmed Thursday that a robbery suspect who may have been high on drugs when he died in custody over the weekend had been struck by Taser weapons a total of five times before he was eventually subdued.

Police said Freddie Lee Lockett, 30, matched the description of a man who robbed a residence in the 2900 block of South Westmoreland Drive around 11:30 p.m. Saturday when he was spotted by officers.

A police statement said Lockett was dressed only in a pair of shorts when he was initially detained. He had been sitting on the curb when, police say, he stood up and began yelling, "Satan, I rebuke you!"

When Lockett refused police orders to stop, an officer fired a Taser. Police said the suspect pulled the barbs from the electroshock weapon out of his chest and ran for several blocks until he reached a residence on Spruce Valley Lane and tried to enter the house.

Police said Lockett indicated to them that he was on PCP, a hallucinogenic drug.

According to the police report, officers called for reinforcements while the suspect smashed his head into a metal mailbox. When he approached officers, they again fired a Taser and he again removed the barbs from his body, and fled down the street — at one point trying to climb a wooden fence; at another time removing a shoe from the bed of a pickup truck and using it to beat on the ground.

Police said officers maintained their distance form Lockett and shouted clear commands for him to surrender.

Then, according to the police statement, Lockett jumped into a squad car with the motor running and attempted to drive away. A third Taser was fired at him, and "several officers were able to extract him from the vehicle."

Police said Lockett attempted to grab an officer's baton as he was being subdued. "Suspect Locket [sic] was struck with the baton, but continued to resist, and a CED [Taser] was once again utilized, causing him to fall to the ground," the police statement said.

After all that, police said Lockett again tried to get up and a Taser was used for the fifth time; he again fell to the ground.

Police said an ambulance was called, and added that the suspect was "breathing and talking" when he was taken away.

Lockett died about 90 minutes later at Methodist Dallas Medical Center. The cause of death has not been determined.

Police said a review of the Taser use indicated that none of the five discharges had lasted for more than five seconds.