Dallas kidnapping victim escapes to safety



Bio | Email | Follow: @wfaajdouglas


Posted on July 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Updated Friday, Jul 27 at 1:39 PM

GRAND PRAIRIE -- A Dallas woman kidnapped at gunpoint early Tuesday morning has been found alive after she was able to flee from the vehicle while stopped at a Grand Prairie gas station, the victim's mother told News 8.

The Dallas Morning News reported that after she was kidnapped, the suspect, identified as 19-year-old Cruz Alcala, tried to sell her as a prostitute to three other individuals.

The 20-year-old was taken to Parkland Hospital and four people are in custody, Grand Prairie police said. The four people in custody include Alcala, as well as Alicisa Faye Morris, 23, Jermaine Jackson, 36, and Telvin Pratt, 22.

Alcala will face at least two aggravated kidnapping charges, and more charges may be pending. Morris, Jackson and Pratt will be charged with kidnapping.

The kidnapping happened early Tuesday morning as the victim and a friend left Club Rio in Dallas.

The women were taken at gunpoint and the kidnapper demanded cash, police said. The woman's friend was released in downtown Dallas after the pair could not give the kidnapper cash or an ATM card, but the other 20-year-old woman was forced to remain in the car.

The victim's mother said she was sitting on her porch praying at about 2 a.m. Wednesday when a police officer approached her. She said she feared the worst but was instead met with the good news that her daughter had been found.

She rushed to the hospital where her daughter relayed the story of what happened to her and how she escaped. She said her daughter cried and said she was sorry.

Authorities said the young victim was able to escape while at a gas station in the 1700 block of West Main Street in Grand Prairie. The woman jumped out of the vehicle while a suspect checked a tire and ran to the neighboring Golden Chalet Motor Inn, where she convinced a skeptical woman to call 911 at about 1 a.m.

The victim was able to give police a description of those involved in the kidnapping and the suspects were apprehended.

"You could tell she was extremely traumatized at whatever happened that led her to that 911 call," said Detective Lyle Gensler with the Grand Prairie police.

Gensler said police swarmed the area, and two people were taken into custody. The man accused of initially kidnapping the young woman was arrested a few hours later.

The kidnapping victim who was released downtown finally felt safe to talk publicly about the ordeal Wednesday.

"The most terrifying part was whenever he put the gun to my head and he looked at her and said, 'Convince me not to kill her,'" the other victim said.

She said the kidnapper repeatedly threatened to shoot both women, despite their pleas for mercy.

"We were just trying to convince him," the other kidnapping victim said. "You know, 'We have families, please don't do this, y'know, if you have a heart just don't do this.'"

She said the kidnapper told them he had heard that before.

While the victim is said to be shaken and frightened, her mother said she will be okay.

The victim's name has been removed for privacy.

E-mail jdouglas@wfaa.com