SALINAS, Calif. (AP) — An 85-year-old woman who fell sick after eating E. coli-tainted spinach during a nationwide outbreak three years ago has settled her lawsuit against California growers and shippers.
Jane Majeska of Fond du Lac, Wis., was hospitalized with hemolytic uremic syndrome and depended on a feeding tube and ventilator for survival after eating Dole packaged spinach in August 2006.
The outbreak killed three people, sickened 200 and cost the industry $80 million in lost sales.
Her lawsuit filed last month sought unspecified damages from Dole, Natural Selection Foods, Mission Organics and Pick 'n Save for her pain and suffering.
Attorneys did not release the amount of her confidential settlement Wednesday, but said she spent a half-million dollars in hospital and doctor bills.