GRAND PRAIRIE -- Fire burned out of control at Clayton's Mark Apartments in Grand Prairie late Tuesday afternoon, leaving more than two dozen families needing a new place to live.
At 4:40 p.m., the three-alarm blaze had consumed about half of one building in the complex at 501 Southwest 23rd Street.
The fire, fueled by gusty winds, forced Grand Prairie firefighters to adopt a defensive mode, trying to keep embers from leaping to adjoining structures.
The Arlington Fire Department assisted in the efforts. The fire was tapped out at 5:16 p.m.
No injuries were reported, but the American Red Cross reported a total of 25 families were affected, with more than half of them needing help from the agency. The Red Cross provided funds to purchase necessary items, indluding clothing, shoes, and groceries. It also arranged for alternative housing.
This was the second major fire the Red Cross responded to on Tuesday. Earlier, fire at an apartment in Euless left 40 people homeless.