Six children injured in fiery McKinney explosion



Bio | Email | Follow: @jobinpnews


Posted on December 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Updated Monday, Dec 24 at 9:09 PM

Explosion in McKinney neighborhood

View larger map

McKINNEY —Six children were injured Monday when a gasoline can exploded in a McKinney backyard.

The explosion occurred in the 800 block of Center Street just after 1 p.m. Family members told News 8 a barbeque cooker was being prepared for cooking. An adult told the children to step away from the fire before going inside the house.

That's when the children then reportedly decided to add logs to the cooker and someone began sprinkling fuel from a gasoline can.

The stream of gasoline caught fire and caused the can to explode.

"It was a whoosh," said neighbor Deb Martin. "I don't know how else to describe it, and the kids were screaming. I thought maybe it was a firecracker, but they kept screaming. Some of the kids were running from the backyard."

Four children were flown by air ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for treatment of critical burns. A fifth child was driven to Parkland and the sixth was taken to Medical Center of McKinney.

The victims range in age from four to 11. They suffered burns to their faces and upper torsos. No names were released.

"I don't even have a feeling right now," said one family member. "It's bad. It is bad, but there's nothing we can do."

McKinney Fire Department spokeswoman Stacie Durham said the children were related and some are siblings.

Adults were in the house at the time of the accident, but may have been left unsupervised in the backyard.

A child who is believed not to have been injured ran into the home and told the adults there was an explosion and the children were on fire, Durham said. A neighbor called 911.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.