San Antonio woman killed in Colorado shooting survived Toronto shooting


Posted on July 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Updated Friday, Jul 20 at 5:28 PM

Theater shooting

View larger map

SAN ANTONIO - A San Antonio woman was among the victims killed and her long-time friend from Bulverde was injured in a mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater early Friday morning, family members confirmed.

Jessica Ghawi, who had recently moved from San Antonio to Denver, was killed in the attack, her brother Jordan Ghawi confirmed while on his way to the San Antonio airport to catch a flight to Denver.

In June of this year, Ghawi had written a blog about surviving a shooting at the Eaton Center in Toronto.

"I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday," she wrote. "I saw the terror on bystanders’ faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening."

Ghawi was attending the premiere of the latest Batman movie with long-time friend Brent Lowak, of Bulverde. Lowak was shot at least once, his father confirmed.

He was reported to be undergoing surgery in the morning.

The pair are among 12 people killed and at least 50 injured while at a Denver-area movie theater on opening night of "The Dark Knight Rises." Colorado police had originally reported 14 people were killed in shooting, but revised the death toll to 12 later Friday morning.

According to a message sent from Ghawi's Twitter account on Thursday afternoon, she had to "coerce" her friend into going to the premiere with her.

Ghawi, who goes by the Twitter handle @JessicaRedfield, continued tweeting about the movie throughout the day Thursday, saying "the 'im going to be too tired tomorrow' argument never wins." Her last tweet was simply: "MOVIE DOESN'T START FOR 20 MINUTES."

KENS 5's sister station in Houston is reporting a Houston-area woman was also among the wounded. The victim's sister told KHOU she was still at an Aurora hospital waiting to have a bullet removed from the calf.