FORT HOOD –– A military judge today rejected accused Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan’s latest attempt to delay his trial, ruling that jury selection will begin next Tuesday.
Hasan, 42, faces 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder stemming from the Nov. 5, 2009 massacre at the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood.
During a hearing Tuesday, Hasan asked military judge Col. Tara Osborn for a continuance because he claimed former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark has joined his three-person legal team. Attempts to reach Clark for confirmation have not been successful.
Hasan has already shaken up his legal representation numerous times. First, he ditched retired Col. John Galligan and then fired his entire legal team when he decided to represent himself. He then hired three of them back.
Osborn called Hasan’s request “untimely” and an obstruction and asked Hasan to enter a plea. The major previously pled not guilty, arguing that he was protecting members of the Taliban when he opened fire on post. Osborn rejected that plea.
On Tuesday, he said he wanted to enter a guilty plea, which is not allowed in a military death penalty case. Osborn then entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.
Hasan, who is representing himself, submitted 103 questions to the court that he planned to ask witnesses. The judge went through the questions one by one, outlawing several, including queries that pertained to what the person on the stand knew about the Boston Marathon bombings and mass shootings in Colorado and Connecticut.
The judge also said she will explain to the jury why Hasan has a beard and why he’s wearing an Army combat uniform in court. Hasan remains paralyzed from injuries he sustained during the alleged attack.
Testimony will begin August 6.