House explodes in Fort Worth; one man hurt

Print
Email
|

by MONIKA DIAZ

WFAA

Posted on August 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Updated Monday, Aug 16 at 1:04 PM

House explosion

View larger map

FORT WORTH — One person was injured Sunday morning in an explosion that leveled a single-family home in the 3900 block of Chenault Street.

Investigators from the Fort Worth Police Department believe the blast was triggered by natural gas.

A neighbor, Rafael Alvarez,  told News 8 that he pulled the victim — 75-year-old Albert Long — out of the damaged residence following the 9:30 a.m. blast,  before the house caught fire.

"I just saw the guy at the house... I grabbed him and put him on my shoulders," he said.

The Fort Worth Fire Department said Long was found in his kitchen at the time of the explosion. He suffered burns over half his body along with other injuries, and was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas by helicopter ambulance.

Long was in critical condition late Sunday afternoon.

"I was asleep and all of a sudden I heard this big noise," said neighbor Mireya Avila.

"I'm worried about him," said Ernest Long, the victim's brother. "I just can't imagine all of this happening."

Debris from the explosion was projected across the street by the force of the blast.

Atmos Energy workers were in the area to determine if the source of the explosion was natural gas.

News 8 has documented a series of explosions over the course of several years that have been traced to faulty pipeline couplings. Work is now under way to replace those couplings in many North Texas cities.

E-mail mdiaz@wfaa.com

Print
Email
|