Former Keller student shot dead at North Carolina house party




Posted on July 16, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Updated Thursday, Oct 17 at 10:58 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The sister of a former North Texas teen who was shot and killed in east Charlotte early Sunday morning is asking witnesses to come forward and talk to police.

Kenya Blandon believes someone at a party on Timbertop Lane saw the gunman and can identify him.

"There were so many people around that some way, somehow, somebody knows something," she said Sunday, as she walked around the street trying to find out what happened.

Blandon’s brother, Kevin Washington, died. He had previously lived in Keller. Two other teens, Garrett Hall and Tevin Horton, both 18, were also shot.  Police said Sunday Hall was shot in the leg and Horton was shot in the arm but treated and released from the hospital.

Blandon said Washington had a passion for football, and was training in hopes of earning a place on UNC-Charlotte's inaugural football team.

Washington’s Facebook page shows he attended Rocky River High School in Mint Hill, N.C. and Keller Central High School in Keller, Texas.  He played for both teams. 

"He was a great kid," said Blandon. "Always had a smile on his face."

Blandon said her brother went to the party with teammates.  Neighbors told WCNC Sunday that a girl who lives on Timbertop Lane posted on a social media page that her parents were out of town and she was throwing a party. 

A Twitter search shows at least eight references to a "kickback" at the address. 

One neighbor said more than a hundred people filled the street outside her home.

"I venture that most of them, she didn't even know," said another, Rex Chapman.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg officers responded to a 911 call after neighbors heard gunshots just after midnight.  When they arrived, they found Washington, Hall, and Horton. Washington was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers said two groups at the party got into a fight and someone started shooting.

Bright orange spray-painted circles mark a path down the street from the house where the party was to the area Washington was found.  One neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said it looked like the gunman ran down the street while firing at his victim.

At least two cars were also hit.

A woman at the home where the party was held arrived home late Sunday evening.  She said through a closed door that she wasn’t home at the time of the shooting but didn’t have any further comment.

So far no arrests have been made.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak with a Homicide Unit Detective.  Detective Sarvis is the lead detective assigned to the case.