FRISCO - A Frisco family is now without a home after it was destroyed in a massive fire traced back to fireworks.
Frisco fire officials say it was the result of a tragic accident.
The homeowner said his two sons were setting off fireworks that make a cone-shaped fountain of sparks. Afterwards, they doused the spent fireworks with water and threw them away in a trash can in the garage. That turned out to be a huge mistake.
"Even though you believe that they're out, the heat signature from the fireworks can last for a couple of days sometimes," said Mark Piland, Frisco fire chief.
When the smoke cleared, about 75 percent of the house and three vehicles were destroyed.
"It's got me too nervous and too jittery," said Todd Keene, a neighbor. "I don't want to see something like that happen. The flames were like a blow torch blowing out of the house."
Frisco has a city ordinance preventing the possession or lighting of fireworks. Fire officials say the incident is under investigation and it's too early to say whether any citations will be issued.
"It could have been prevented," said Courtney Keene, a neighbor. "Fireworks are scary. Fire is scary. You always hear as a kid, ‘Don't play with fire; don't mess with fire.' This is why you don't do that."
Piland says the two young men who set off the fireworks were devastated and he wants to emphasize that the only safe fireworks are those in the hands of professionals.
"Leave the fireworks to the pros," agreed Keene. "Don't satisfy your kids and risk burning down your house or killing your family."
No one was injured in the fire.