Easy Pi Day Cupcakes
2 ¼ cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup shortening
1 cup milk (use whole milk for a moister cupcake)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs (large)
1. Preheat your oven to 350º.
2. Grease muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.
3. Mix all dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.
4. Add the shortening, milk and vanilla. Beat well for one minute at medium speed.
5. Add the eggs and beat for one more minute. Get the batter off the sides and mix at high speed for 1 ½ minutes.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to put the batter into the muffin tins, filling about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops bounce back when you touch them or a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting
Secret Mensa Frosting Recipe
1 lb. powdered sugar
½ cup shortening (we used Crisco®)
¼ cup water
½ tsp. each butter, vanilla, and almond flavoring
pinch of salt
Tint as desired with food coloring (paste works best). Mix well and spread!