What’s a former Top Chef contestant who has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, Modern Luxury Magazine and Food and Wine going to do with $10 and the grocery selection of a dollar store?
Here's the recipe from Tre Wilcox...
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sugar and salt, to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 3 each chicken legs
- 2 tablespoons red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 each yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 each poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 each serrano pepper, chopped
- 8 each tomatillos, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- salt and lime juice, to taste
FOR THE GARNISH
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, split and sauteed
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. FOR THE SWEET POTATOES Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Wrap each sweet potato in foil and cook in oven for 30-35 min or until soft. Heat cream and butter and combine in a blender with peeled sweet potatoes. Blend until smooth, season with salt and sugar. Keep warm.
2. TO MAKE THE CHICKEN Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Season chicken with salt and chili pepper. Sear chicken in grape seed oil using hot pan. Place chicken into roasting pan after searing. Quickly sauté the onions, poblano pepper, serranos and tomatillos. Deglaze with water and pour mixture over chicken. Cover with foil and roast for 1.5 hours. Remove chicken and place cooking liquid into blender and combine with baby spinach. Blend till smooth, season with salt and lime juice.