Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today shows us a simple and tasty recipe for that Thanksgiving favorite, Cornbread stuffing, on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, November 17.
- 1 pkg. cornbread mix, made to directions (I love Jiffy)
- 1 loaf country bread, sliced and toasted on both sides
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 8 oz. pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pecans, chopped & toasted (optional)
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 32. oz. container chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- Make cornbread as directed and let cool.
- Slice bread and toast on both sides.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add vegetables to saute.
- In a large bowl, break up cornbread into large crumbles. Tear toasted slices into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Pour sauteed vegetables over both breads.
- Add toasted pecans.
- Add whisked egg.
- Drizzle in broth.
- Add salt/pepper.
- Using both (clean!) hands, gently toss ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees until set and top is crisp and brown for 35 - 40 minutes.
NOTE: Dressing can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate before baking. If baking chilled ingredients, may add 10 - 15 minutes to cook time.