Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared this Sunday Roast on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, February 23.
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb. boneless chuck roast (bottom round or top sirloin)
- 1 sweet onion, sliced in slivers
- 7 cloves garlic (4 chopped, 3 whole)
- 6 - 7 red potatoes, chopped with skin
- 1 lb. bag baby carrots, peeled
- 1 cup red wine (nothing fancy or expensive)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped w/o stems
- Olive oil
- unsalted butter
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a Dutch oven or deep pan over medium-high heat with a thin layer of olive oil to the bottom.
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown meat on all sides.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and chopped garlic in a thin layer of olive oil and 2 Tbs. butter. Let them soften until tender (about 20 min.)
- Once roast is browned, turn heat off and add beef broth and wine in.
- Arrange potatoes around roast.
- Next add sauteed onions / garlic on top of potatoes.
- Lastly, layer carrots on top of onions/garlic.
- Make 3 small slits on top of roast with a sharp knife and slip 3 garlic cloves in each slit.
- Sprinkle rosemary on top and add more cracked pepper.
- Cover and bake @ 325 for 4 hours until very tender.
- Once done, slice roast and plate with vegetables. Can add meat juices to the plates for more moisture.