Stacy Fawcett, Daybreak's favorite foodie, has two recipes for lovers of the classic American comfort food, macaroni and cheese.
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Romano cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Panko (japenese) bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In large pot filled with water add 3 pinches of salt and the macaroni and place over high heat. Bring to a boil and let cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain. Set aside
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and cook 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, whisking until a roux or paste forms. Add cold milk and whisk vigorously until dissolved. Cook sauce on medium-low heat until thick and bubbly. Add heavy cream, all cheeses, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon pepper. Cook until cheeses are fully melted, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and then mix in panko bread crumbs until the butter is thoroughly absorbed.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture and mix thoroughly. Place macaroni mixture in a 13 by 9 baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- For extra crispy topping, place under broiler after baking until bread crumbs turn golden brown. Recommended.
Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar or any blend of cheese you like, grated (about 5 cups)
- Dash of paprika
- In a large 4-quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Turn off the slow cooker, stir the mixture and serve hot.
Note: If you don't have a slow cooker, grease a 9x13x2" pan with butter, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.