Executive chef Nancy Maslonka of Medical City Hospital prepared these heart-healthy snacks for your Super Bowl party on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, February 2.
Super Duper Chocolate Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix (replace oil with same amount of applesauce)
- ½ t espresso powder
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Make the brownie mix according to the package directions but replace the oil with an equal amount of applesauce and add espresso powder and vanilla extract.
- Bake according to package directions and allow to cool.
- To prepare the frosting, puree the avocado pulp in a food processor until completely smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla.
- Process until smooth and all combined. You may need to stop the processor from time to time and scrape down the sides.
- It will be a soft frosting for the brownies.
Three Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz tomato puree
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t ground unsweetened cocoa powder
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Optional garnish - low fat sour cream, diced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium heat and add a thin layer of olive oil.
- Let oil heat through for a minute or two and then add ground turkey.
- Break up the turkey into smaller pieces while it is cooking.
- Cook the turkey all the way through and drain it in a sieve.
- Return pan to heat and add a bit more olive oil and let it heat through.
- Add the carrots, onions, celery and garlic; stir from time to time while cooking vegetables on medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add the turkey back to the pan with all of the beans, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder and cocoa powder.
- Stir gently and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat allow chili to cook for 2 hours.
- Garnish with low fat sour cream, diced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
Hummus with Dippers
- 1 14 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1 T good quality olive oil
- 1 T low fat sour cream
- ½ t cumin
- ½ t salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Place garbanzo beans and garlic in a food processor and process until it is fairly smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, sour cream, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Process until smooth. Adjust salt and lemon as needed.
Serve with assorted dippers such as carrot sticks, pretzels, pita chips or broccoli florets.