Amy Kushnir of My Texas Today prepared Fried Okra on News 8 Daybreak Saturday, July 13.
- 1/2 - 1 lb. fresh okra
- 1 qt. buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups yellow corn meal
- 4 tsp. Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- vegetable oil
- Wash and slice okra (about 1/4” - 1/2” thick).
- Pour approximately 2 cups of buttermilk into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add remaining dry ingredients to a separate medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Dip sliced okra into buttermilk bowl, then coat each slice in the dry mixture, coating well.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat vegetable oil on medium-high (oil about 1/4” deep).
- Add okra and adjust the heat to medium-low, letting it brown for 3- minutes.
- Flip each piece over to cook and additional 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Drain cooked okra on a paper towel and serve.