Expert: Dr. Traci Cihon Ph.D, BCBA-D, behavior analyst
Q: What are the signs of autism?
- No big smiles or joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter
- No babbling by 12 months
- No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching or waving by 12 months
- No words by 16 months
- No two-word meaningful phrases by 24 months
- Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age
Q: Is it possible for someone to recover from autism?
A: Dr. Traci Cihon says there is currently not a cure for autism. But many individuals with autism do integrate into society or into general education — particularly after receiving early intensive behavioral intervention.