Icy roadways continue to trigger multiple accidents on DFW roadways. Use caution on roadways, particularly bridges and overpasses as temperatures have fallen below the freezing mark.
A Wind Chill Advisory stays in effect from Sunday 6 p.m. until noon Monday as single digit wind chills are likely, at times below zero. A Winter Weather Advisory has expired for the northwestern parts of North Texas. This also includes Dallas, Tarrant, Denton and Collin Counties.
Temperatures will be bitterly cold for New Year's Eve. As you ring in the new year, temperatures will be in the 20s with wind chills in the teens or even single digits. Outdoor NYE events have been canceled at Fort Worth's Sundance Square due to the cold temps. Indoor activities will go on as planned.
Reports of problems on roadways:
- I-30 East at Green Oaks Blvd. E
- I-20 West at Belt Line Road (Grand Prairie) (FM 1382)
- Car hits state trooper's vehicle in Hood County on U.S. 377. Trooper is not hurt.
- Accident on U.S. 67 at Red Bird Lane
- I-820 north at Berry, accident reported
- Ice buildup on I-30 westbound near Camp Bowie Blvd. in Fort Worth
- Denton County: Officials tell WFAA they are seeing icing conditions on bridges
- Cooke County: Icy spots on I-35, according to NWS
- Wise County: Reports of icing on some bridges, according to NWS
Slick roads caused more than 100 crashes with injuries, 21 of them rollover incidents, according to Fort Worth city officials.
Fort Worth Fire Department responded to almost 500 calls on Sunday including many calls involving wrecks.
Light snow was reported from Gainesville, Sherman to Bonham with only minor accumulations, according to the NWS.
Flights at DFW Airport are running as scheduled with de-icing operations underway. An American Airlines spokesperson tells WFAA the schedule is running normal and flight cancelations aren't anticipated. No significant delays have been reported at Love Field.
Since we are only anticipating drizzle, significant ice accumulations are not likely. Freezing drizzle won't take down power lines or snap tree limbs. This does not have the makings of a major winter storm, "Icemaggedon," etc. But even small amounts of icing can cause hazardous travel problems. Icy bridges and overpasses are certainly possible during the day on Sunday. Icy roadways are more uncertain, but definitely possible in DFW and to the north and west on Sunday. Our main concern will be road conditions.%INLINE%
Any wintry precipitation will come to a close as we head into early Sunday evening, which means no precipitation will be falling from the sky for New Year's Eve celebrations. However, icy roads could still be a problem as temperatures remain well below freezing! To put it into perspective, DFW will drop below freezing about Midnight Saturday and not rise above 32° until Wednesday afternoon...that's 80+ hours! Now that's a deep freeze!
- It will be very cold for New Year's Eve into New Year's Day.
- Some light accumulations of ice are possible through Sunday afternoon.
- Hazardous travel for parts of North Texas is possible in areas that see ice.
- Dry and cold weather is expected for next week.