FORT WORTH -- A man is in custody after a fire broke out and shots were fired as authorities investigated a stolen car at a Fort Worth home late Thursday morning.

Officers went to the home in the 300 block of Haltom Road at about 10 a.m. where they found the stolen car. As officers approached, a man tried to escape through a side door before seeing the officers and running back inside.

The homeowner and her boyfriend were asked to come outside to speak with police. They say an acquaintance, Brandon Ishmael, 30, drove to the home in the vehicle. As the couple was talking with officers, shots were fired from inside the home and it was set on fire.

SWAT at scene of fire and police situation in the 300 block of Haltom Road in Haltom City on Oct. 6, 2016. 

“When they made contact with the people in the house, that’s kind of when everything started,” Sergeant Marcus Povero said.

That's when investigators called special response team officers to the scene and more sounds of gunfire came from inside the home.

Soon the SWAT team witnessed Ishmael running from the burning home with a gun in his hand, yelling, “Not giving up!” and “Kill me…kill me!"

A SWAT officer shot Ishmael with a .40mm less lethal foam rubber round, stunning the suspect enough to be arrested. He told officers than another person inside the home was the one shooting at them.

SWAT at scene of fire and police situation in the 300 block of Haltom Road in Haltom City on Oct. 6, 2016. 

"[Officers] were unaware if they were being shot at or what the person inside the house was shooting at," Povero said. "They also observed flames coming from inside the house."

Firefighters, wearing ballistic protection, moved in to keep the flames from spreading to nearby homes as SWAT members gave them cover, said Lt. Kyle Falkner, with the Fort Worth Fire Department.

After the flames were extenguished, no suspect was found inside the home.

Ishmael was arrested for outstanding warrants and treated for smoke inhalation.

"Currently, several criminal charges against Ishmael are pending and being investigated by numerous law enforcement agencies, including arson investigators with the Fort Worth Fire Department," police said.

The Star-Telegram contributed to this report.