FORT WORTH  — Police are "actively working" to see if a crime occurred during an ambiguous altercation between Johnny Manziel and the woman he's been dating, but is believed to now be his ex-girlfriend.

Details are vague, but after police determined a "possible assault had occurred," they searched for him with a helicopter because the woman was worried about his well-being.

A Fort Worth Police Department news release on Saturday afternoon says police were responding to a call at the Berkeley Luxury Apartment Homes near TCU about 2 a.m. Saturday when they came across a 23-year-old woman who told them she had been in a disturbance with her ex-boyfriend earlier in Dallas.

"The preliminary investigation determined that a possible assault had occurred in that jurisdiction or multiple jurisdictions," the release says. "The complainant was uncooperative with officers on scene," but she was concerned about Manziel's well-being. The release specifically refers to him as her ex-boyfriend several times.

Fort Worth police tried to call Manziel, 23, and searched for him around the city, including with the department's helicopter, Air One. "It was later determined by officers that the ex-boyfriend was safe and in no danger."

Fort Worth police made no arrests and didn't find a crime scene within their jurisdiction, the release says, but is working with the Dallas Police Department "to determine if a criminal offense occurred."

The embattled Cleveland Browns quarterback and his then-girlfriend were also involved in a domestic dispute in October in Ohio. No arrests were made then, either.

Recently, Manziel was seen in a Fort Worth liquor store on Jan. 16, less than a year after he entered an alcohol and drug treatment center. Since then, he's been seen at two Dallas bars and a Dallas nightclub. Some reports have said the Browns are concerned with his recent DFW sightings, but he "absolutely" has a chance to remain on the roster next season.

Early this month, several reports said Manziel went to a Las Vegas nightclub wearing a blond wig and fake mustache, calling himself Billy, the night before the Browns' season finale against Pittsburgh. Manziel was ruled out for the game because of a concussion, but the team owner said he failed to report for medical treatment that morning.

Read the full story from our media partners at

Fort Worth police released this written statement about the latest Manziel incident:

At approximately 2 a.m. on January 30, 2016, patrol officers were dispatched to 2101 Park Hill Drive (The Berkeley Apartments) in reference to a report of a possible assault. 

Upon arrival, officers did not locate the caller, but did make contact with a 23 year old female who stated that she was involved in a disturbance with her ex-boyfriend (23 year old male suspect) earlier in the evening in Dallas. The preliminary investigation determined that a possible assault had occurred in that jurisdiction or multiple jurisdictions. The complainant was uncooperative with officers on scene, and they were unable to locate a crime scene within the Fort Worth jurisdiction, however, our officers prepared a report nonetheless, and that information was forwarded to detectives for further investigation. 

The Dallas Police Department was notified of a possible disturbance, so any questions regarding their jurisdiction should be submitted to DPD. 

The complainant also advised our officers of concerns that she had regarding the well-being of her ex-boyfriend. In an effort to follow-up on this, Fort Worth officers attempted to locate him, by calling cell phone numbers associated with him, checking locations within our jurisdiction, and searching the area with the assistance of our Air One Unit.  It was later determined by officers that the ex-boyfriend was safe and in no danger. The Fort Worth Police Department is actively working with Dallas PD to determine if a criminal offense occurred. 

And Dallas police issued this brief statement:

The Dallas Police Department has been notified by the Fort Worth Police Department of a possible offense that may have occurred within the Dallas city limits. We are in the preliminary stages of the investigation and have no further information at this time. When additional information becomes available it will be released as appropriate.