The winner of the women’s division in the BMW Dallas Marathon Sunday had a remarkable finish.

Closing in on the finish line, 32-year-old Chandler Self collapsed and fell to the ground.

With help from a relay participant who was running in a separate race, Self made it across the finish line to win the women’s division. This is the second marathon win of her career.

Video of the finish is spreading online, many calling Self’s perseverance inspirational.

A lot of praise has also been directed towards Ariana Luterman, that relay runner, and student at Greenhill Academy who helped Self finish.

“I was thinking mind over matter,” Self said. “I just kept telling myself to get up. I could see the finish line, and I knew I wanted it so bad.”

Self had the lead the last 8 miles of the race, but around mile 25 her legs started to fade.

“They started giving out on me—it was really, really hard,” she said.

In the video, Self gets up and works to the finish line with help from Luterman. But the pain is sharp, and the crowd could tell she was in agony.

“I think pain gets to people sometimes, and they think that well you know it’s not that big of a deal…it’s ok,” she said. “But when I got to that point, I was like no I want this.”

After Self crossed the finish line, she was taken to the medical tent in a wheelchair. The Rockwall native was later told by her father that she had won.

“I knew that my family was there at the finish line, and I knew they were waiting for me,” she said. “I knew I had to get up and finish for them.”

When News 8 asked Self what she thinks of all the attention her finish is receiving, she didn’t hesitate.

“I’m happy about it because I think people see it as someone accomplishing their dreams, and we should all try and do that,” Self said.

“It’s not how many times you fall, it’s about how many times you get back up,” she said. “That’s what makes you a winner.”

What amplifies Self’s toughness? She’s psychiatrist at Mount Sinai hospital in New York City. After our interview, she was on a flight back home because she’s scheduled to be in the ER 8 AM Monday.