FORT WORTH -- Two Fort Worth Police officers who were shot while responding to a suicide call Friday night are "recovering well," the department wrote on Twitter Saturday.

Police say that the incident took place near 3828 Wharton Drive, near Southwest High School in the Wedgwood neighborhood of Fort Worth, at about 8:30 p.m.

Eight year veteran Xavier Serrano, 29, and rookie Officer Ray Azucena, who was in field training, arrived at the home and found an elderly man fatally shot inside the house, police say.

Neighbors told them a witness to the shooting may be in the shed in the backyard. When the officers approached the shed, they were fired upon. They returned fire, police said during a press conference.

Both officers were wearing bulletproof vests. Azucena was struck once in the chest, but his bullet-proof vest saved his life. He was released from JPS hours after the shooting, giving a big thumbs up to the cameras waiting outside.

"He is in good spirits. He has some pain to his chest where a bullet struck his ballistic vest, but he's in good spirits with his family," said Fort Worth Police Sgt. Marc Povero.

Serrano was shot multiple times in the upper torso and left arm and shoulder, said police. He underwent successful surgery at JPS Saturday and was in stable condition.

"He's awake, talking to his family, obviously in some pain," said Povero. "Under the circumstances, he's very fortunate. We're thankful he's alive."

Azucena is now recovering at home with his wife and two children. He had been on the force for only a few months.

“The medical team at JPS is grateful to have positive outcomes to report for the officers involved in last night’s incident," said JPS president and CEO Robert Earley. "We are thankful that we are able to provide the best care possible for our community’s first responders. We appreciate all that they do to protect the City of Fort Worth every single day.”

Pops from gas canisters deployed by the SWAT team were heard at about 10:30 p.m. At about 12:30 a.m. police confirmed that the suspect was dead after a standoff with officers.

Police say they have been called to the same home multiple times for domestic issues between a son and father. The most recent was last New Year's Eve when the father was arrested on an outstanding warrant.

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price and Fort Worth Police Chief Joel Fitzgerald held a brief press conference at JPS just after 11 p.m. Fort Worth Officer Matt Pearce was seen standing behind the mayor. He is still recovering after being shot in the line of duty six months ago.

Mayor Price thanked the community for its support of the police department.

"Hold our officers and their families in your prayers tonight," the mayor said before handing the microphone over to the chief.

"This is very fortunate," the chief said. "We're fortunate to have them with us at this point."