Nobody was hurt and nobody lost their home, but an early-morning apartment fire is still particularly painful after it destroyed toys and food collected for low-income families.
The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Asante Apartments in the 200 block of Jim Miller Road.
The blaze damaged a portion of the Asante Apartments that housed office space, including Quest 4 Greater Success, a non-profit that planned a holiday toy and food giveaway Tuesday for more than 50 families with children.
The director, Assata Thomas, said everything they raised for the giveaway was lost in the fire.
"If you are able, please bring a toy to help us replace what was lost," read a post on their Facebook page. "Toys for kids ages 0-12 would be greatly appreciated."
Thomas said they still plan to help the community.
"We're still going to do whatever we can," she said. "Whatever we can pull together, it's still the holidays; we're still going to try to put a smile on these kids' faces."
If you'd like to donate to Quest 4 Greater Success, you can contact them at the Janie C. Turner Recreation Center, located at 6424 Elam Rd, Dallas, TX 75217. You can also make financial donations to the non-profit through their PayPal or visit their site, www.q4success.org, to learn more.
The donation giveaway has been rescheduled for Friday or Saturday at the Asante Apartments. Toy donations will be distributed to 54 families in need that live at the complex.
While the blaze struck the non-profit, no one at the apartment complex was displaced or injured.
Officials say the building was completely destroyed by the blaze, and Tuesday night DFD confirmed the fire was started by a space heater.
Council member Tennell Atkins and WFAA's Santa's Helpers are working with the non-profit to collect donations for Quest 4 Greater Success.
Throughout the day, people from all over the metro came to donate toys. William Folsom from Cottonwood Baptist Church in Scurry-Rosser drove nearly an hour to drop off toys.
"Being a father, it's emotional to see this," he said. "Every kid deserves a Christmas."
Jermaine Cooper used to live in the complex, and went to pick up toys as soon as he heard the news.
"I spent $650 for the kids. I went to Wal-Mart and took what I could off the shelves," he said. "And we're going back, because these kids deserve more."